Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Birthday this and that

A portion of the memoir I've been working just came out in the most recent issue of ZYZZYVA.

*

Yep, I'm 46 today. I remember sitting on my bed 30 years ago and writing, "Today I turned 16." I still have that diary in a box with a pile of others, stuck in my dark basement.

In spite of all our watches, calendars, techie devices...time is a mystery.

*

If it's not raining, we're hiking in the redwoods for my birthday. No matter the weather, we are having food and great beer at our favorite pub in the mountains. They always have a roaring fire this time of year.

*

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. In ee cummings custom, I give thanks for the "leaping greenly spirits of trees and the true blue dream of sky."

5 comments:

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

Months later, we moved to Santa Cruz. We said private vows on the beach one night, the barking sea lions our bridesmaids, the moon our witness....
****************************
I was hanging on every word. Can't wait for the book to come out.
Love ya cuz :-) Y'all have a great Thanksgiving, kiss LittleArlene for me.

Collin Kelley said...

Happy Birthday, luvvy. Enjoy your day!

CathM said...

Where do the years go (lol)!?! Your excerpt: a lovely nugget of memoir & nostalgia! Have a super birthday!

Lisa Nanette Allender said...

Sorry I missed your birthday!!
We're both November grrlz(My b-d is on the 4th).
Hope u are doing great--look for my review of For The May Queen at my blog, within the next day or so!!

John W. Evans said...

Hey Kate,

Hope you had a great birthday, enjoyed among great folks!

Congratulations on all of your recent publishing successes--so awesome to see all that you are doing!

Sincerely,
John