Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Bye Walnut, Hello Bionics!

Jaime exhibiting her bionic prowess.
Tomorrow, with the help of a fabulous neurosurgeon, it's out with the old and in with the new. The "new" is some filler and a reinforcement plate in my skull (which, I've been reassured, will not set off airport alarms).

Makes me feel akin to Jaime Sommers. And who knows what super powers I'll develop as a result of this recent plot twist? I can feel the power building, to be sure, generated in great part from all of the astounding energy I'm receiving from people's thoughts, prayers, phone calls, visits, and cyber-messages. As the Doobie Brothers sing, "Without love, where would you be now?"

Where we are now.
Ever since we left Cape Cod, I've been wearing the angel earrings given to me by the friend who took me to the E.R. Another BFF called me yesterday morning on her way to the hospital; she's a doctor. She told me she knew that, as Bob Marley sings, "Every little thing's gonna be alright."

That's the message many have sent, including Suzanne, whose daughter Teal recently died. We talked on the phone yesterday about Teal's epilepsy and the laughter she offers from the other side. I was in a house on Teal Lane when I had my seizure. Suzanne and I felt a deep connection as we spoke. She told me she believes that my seizure indicates I'm moving to a new depth of understanding about life--which will be revealed through my writing.

Other people have contacted me to tell me about their own medical adventures and how they've thrived. One offered this advice:  "Love that man of yours. Dance on the beach and eat heartily today!"

We did take a beach walk yesterday. This morning breakfast was fresh fruit and eggs. I meditated until my skin felt illuminated. It's sunny out there; soon, we'll be sitting on the deck beneath redwood trees, followed by a soak in the hot tub--all this beauty courtesy of Stacey and Matt. We're here in their Santa Cruz mountain home with their twin boys, Cole and Wyatt.

Matt and Wyatt

Clearly, this is the perfect place to heal. It was so quiet when I woke in the middle of the night for a few moments before snuggling back in next to Dave. And I felt that serene silence again this morning as sun eked into our room.

Wyatt and Cole in the kitchen.
As John Denver sings, "My bags are packed, I'm ready to go." My backpack is filled with my most comfy clothes, my Kindle brimming with great books and audio meditations, and my angel earrings. They will go back into my earlobes as soon as possible after surgery.

Today is about relaxation, nourishment, and joy. Tomorrow I'll wake early, and Dave will drive me down the mountain for the excision of this little walnut. It has served me by expanding my life in wonderful ways, but now it's time to say goodbye. I'm ready to relax into the experience of becoming bionic. As Steve Winwood sings, "you've got to roll with it baby."

With Matt and Stacey, rocking out in May to the Stones.
If you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need...