Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Life Stories and Conny

Check out "fifteen paying markets for personal essays and life stories."

That's where I learned about Common Ties, which just took one of my pieces. I'm being paid (an amount I can't disclose), and they've asked me to record a reading of so people both read and listen to my piece online.

* * * * *

If you can't or don't want to sell a personal piece, a great place to get some readership is Drumtable. I've posted a few of my pieces on Drumtable, here. While they don't directly pay, you have a shot at getting a $50-100 prize for "best piece of the week."


* * * * *

I can't decide if this is beautiful or creepy:

5 comments:

Montgomery Maxton said...

im voting 'beautiful'

Talia Reed said...

I love to hear children with little English accents, or southern accents, or what have you.

I wonder why Conny's mum didn't put her in a dress? It wouldn't have to be a cutsey one, but she certainly looked a little underdressed to me, but then again, the world always seems to be.

Kate Evans said...

Okay, I can go for beautiful. :) I think the child is amazing. It's just the TV program/stage thing that seems to make it a little creepy somehow. But I'm glad I got to see and hear her.

Talia, I see what you mean, but I was RELIEVED that Conny didn't look like Jon Benet!

Kate Evans said...

Actually, I just listened to it again and realized that her singing is so other-worldly. That's what was both beautiful and strange. It's like she was channeling...

Joan McMillan said...

The child is darling, with a beautiful voice, but the show is so strange--sort of like a parallel universe American Idol. And Simon Cowell always looks like he just ate a lemon.