Friday, November 2, 2007

San Jose Earthquake Errata

Two windows blew out of the control tower at the airport.

*

The top three floors of our joint campus/city library (on the campus where I teach) are closed as employees work to reshelve 300,000 books.

*

The eight-story library reportedly "swayed like a palm tree" during the quake--a good thing. Flexibility is the essence of intelligence in an earthquake (for both buildings and humans).

*

Backflash: During the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, I was on the campus in a three-story classroom building. Indeed, the building swayed like a palm tree--after bucking like a wild horse. The next week when I was back in the building, I had the sensation it was swaying again even though I knew it wasn't. A kind of California PTS.

2 comments:

Collin Kelley said...

Was that the building where I read and talked to your students?

Kate Evans said...

Yes!! So can you imagine it rocking and rolling?!