Monday, November 10, 2008

Coming together for full equality for all

Friday night Annie and I marched in San Francisco for Marriage Equality and against Prop 8. It was an amazing night; city police estimate 18,000 people were there.

Sunday we drove to Sacramento for a rally and march with about 5,000 people. Christine Chavez, granddaughter of Cesar Chavez, spoke along with many others. It was a powerful event of solidarity. Governor Schwarzenegger did not make an appearance, but yesterday he spoke out on CNN saying, "I think this will go back into the courts. ... It's the same as in the 1948 case when blacks and whites were not allowed to marry; this fallsinto the same category." (It wasn't until 1967 that the Supreme Court declared anti-miscegenation laws illegal in Loving v. Virginia.)












Mark Leno









*
On another note: Annie and I have taken the Internet out of our house. At this moment, I'm blogging at the Peet's down the street. I'm definitely having withdrawals, but overall, I'm much happier, more organized, less harried, more relaxed and more focused not checking my email 24/7. I do it at work, when I also spend some time on Crack-book (I mean Facebook) and all the other social networks. I'm getting more reading, writing, gardening and walking done. Life is good.

1 comment:

Collin Kelley said...

Go Kate and Annie!!! I love these photos! I just blogged and posted some video from one of the SF protests. Call me when you can. Smooch.