|Nancy & Kate, friends since high school, in Nancy's studio.|
You know you're in L.A. when:
* You are the only pedestrians on your three-block walk to the store.
* Your friend takes you for a spin in his new Maserati--and then lets you get behind the wheel.
* You valet park at the grocery store.
* You play with puppets at your friend's art studio.
* That friend takes you to a vast art gallery complex where you have a fabulous organic salad in the outdoor cafe.
* And then you walk around, taking in a wild array of art.
* And as you walk into each gallery, the person behind the counter (the "gallerist") may or may not acknowledge you.
* The most expensive clothes look like stylishly tattered rags.
|Dave with the boys in the band.|
* You pop in on a dive bar, and your friends are playing in the band.
* You say to a guy you just met, "Has anyone ever told you that you look like Dustin Hoffman?" and he says, "Yeah, I've heard that. But when I met Dustin and we stood side-by-side, people didn't really think so."
* The dinner guests are a) a photographer and b) an artist whose sculptures are installed all over the world.
* The dinner party is outdoor at night, followed by communing around the fire pit and a dip in the jacuzzi.
Next stop: Brisbane, Australia!