Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Crowing about family


I haven't seen my cousin Joanna in more than 20 years, but I will get to soon--because next week, Joanna and her husband Mike are coming out to California from Boone, North Carolina for a family reunion.

Especially with the loss of my father last year and my mother's subsequent Alzheimer's diagnosis, it will be good to reconnect. My mom is very excited about seeing her niece. (Joanna's mom, who died in the early 1990s, was my mom's sister.)

Since the plans for them to come out have been solidified, Joanna, my sisters and I have been enjoying email talk and picture sharing. Recently, Joanna sent me some pictures of the chickens they raise. They take the beautiful, varied-colored eggs to the Farmer's Market, where they let kids pet the chickens. What a great way to educate kids about where eggs come from.
They will sell chickens, but only if people prove they have the set-up to give the chickens a quality life.

Soon, Joanna's getting a tiny kitchen trailer and will be selling baked goods and egg-type dishes. Here's an example of some of what she'll be selling through their business called Eggcetera. Makes my mouth water just reading it! How lucky am I to have a cousin who can cook like this--especially since she'll be bringing some of her home-cooked goods to the family reunion!

Broccoli, Potato, and Cheddar Frittata from the skillet
Grilled Zucchini Rolls with Herbs and Cheese
veggie Egg Roll
veggie Casserole
veggie Quiche
Egg Salad Sandwich
Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Baked Peach French Toast
Grilled French Toast

Scoop of:
Potato Salad
Mac & Cheese - not out of a box
Cheese Nachos with mild Salsa
Squash/Zucchini/Red Onion
Garden Risotto

Sweetness:
Fruit Scoop with Vanilla Yogurt and Craisins
Cheesecake
Nutella Banana
Fresh Eggnog


2 comments:

Becky C. said...

That will be so fun.

A couple months ago a cousin of mine, who I had not seen for almost twenty years came down here. At first, I was worried, it was almost like having a stranger come to visit. It turned out to be one of the funnest weeks of my life.

Jo A. T.B. said...

Wow! She has some menu. A lot of what I like to cook too! Wonderful to be cooked for by an good cook! Sound like a fund time! Enjoy!!