Sunday, May 27, 2007

My First Meme for YouYou

What the hell is a meme?

Is it anything like a screaming meme?

I think I figured it out, though. I was tagged by Sam of Ten Thousand Things. (Remember when being tagged meant you got slapped on the arm by your friend who had orange popsicle remnants and dust streaked across her face as she chased you down the summer hot asphalt of your neighborhood?)

Anyway, cyber-tagged I was, for a meme (still don't know what it meansmeans) to come up with 10 quotes from 10 different writers that say something about my ars poetica philosophy.

Here's what I came up with:

"Poetry is loving the names of things." (Gertrude Stein)

"I have it set so all flattery and criticism go down the same drain, and I am quite free." (Georgia O'Keefe)

"There is a beauty in the world, though it's harsher than we expect it to be." (Michael Cunningham)

"The thinking mind is best controlled by the imagination." (Carson McCullers)

Artists "love what is raw and degratded as much as what is seemingly fine . . . [They are] awed by creation and cannot let a single aspect of sensuous experience go unadmired." (James Agee)

"Craft is also spiritual." (Sharon Dubiago)

"The novel cannot submit to authority." [True for the poem too.] (Julian Gough)

"Out of our conflicts with others we make rhetoric. Out of our conflicts with ourselves, we make poetry." (Yeats)

"The most important things in our intimate lives can't be discussed with strangers, except in books." (Edmund White)

"Talent is a long patience." (Flaubert)

"End with an image and don't explain." (Stanley Kunitz)

Now, being the lightening-quick-learning cyber-riffic gal that I am, I tag:
Dustin, Strega, Ellen, Arlene, and Talia.

(not Collin because he already did it)
(not Max cuz he already gave me some skin today)
Post a Comment