Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Yesterday Was . . .

. . . 12 hours with my mom, getting her transferred from the care facility back into the hospital since she she's been having more health problems.

Today was fielding phone calls about her care and a transfer to another hospital since there's no room in the one she was taken to yesterday.

The day before yesterday was a glorious 22-mile bike ride with Annie, here,

along the Coyote Creek Trail. Hawks with wingspans like open-doored cars swooped over our heads, and we swerved around two magnificent rattlesnakes who were grabbing some rays on the trail.

In the midst of it all, I've been continuing research for my novel. I've mostly been reading about Auden's and Britten's creation of the operetta Paul Bunyan. In the lyrics, Paul Bunyan expresses the hope that Americans will be saved from the

Pressure Group that says I am the Constitution,
From those who say Patriotism and mean Persecution,
From entertainments neither true nor beautiful nor witty . . .
From the dirty-mindedness of a Watch Committee.

Auden witnessed the devastating rise of facism in Europe. And yet he was not a blind patriot for Democracy. He recognized that all systems have their pitfalls and need their critics.

Speaking of critics, GO JIMMY. And swallow any possible apologies. I don't know why it's considered such an anathema for one President to speak his truth about another. Patriotism serves to silence.

4 comments:

Collin Kelley said...

Sorry to hear about your mom, but glad you are taking some time for yourself. 22 miles on a bike? My legs and ass hurt just thinking about it. Hope you have a relaxing holiday weekend.

sam of the ten thousand things said...

Sorry about your Mother's health. I'm sure that must be tough for you.

Arlene said...

hope everything works out for your mom, kate. i'm sending positive vibes.

thanks for sharing joan mcmillan's poem — it just blew me away. WOW.

a.

Anonymous said...

I love Joan's poem. Always love her writing. Thanks.

Bob and I used to ride that same trail, only half as far. It's lovely. I think we'll do it again soon, now that his foot is healed, or mostly.

Ellen