Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Huh?

I thought I was on the wrong channel when I heard people talking about Miley Cyrus on NPR today.

I mean really, why do people care about this?

Is the subtext that Annie Liebovitz is a lesbian who photographs naked girls?

Yes, Cyrus is "only 15." Our society is so stupidly uptight about sexuality. Let's not forget that the center of the greatest love story of all time--Juliet--was 14.

But beyond that, that Cyrus pic is so benign as to be laughable. One of the callers on NPR said her 6-year-old daughter just wanted to know why the picture made Hannah Montana "ugly."

That's Annie Liebovitz for you, working against the grain.

3 comments:

Becky C. said...

I was pretty nonplussed by this issue, until I started wondering why in the heck everyone was so excited. I also wondered about the photographer angle--and ran into some vitriolic hate on how poor Miley was duped by the evil Jewish lesbian photographer. I don't think most of the people who got their panties in a knot over this, were aware of this--but it is certainly a component.

~Becky

Collin Kelley said...

Miley and her has-been father need to fuck off. They are just worried about losing some Disney millions. Miley is that family's bread and butter and she better not screw it up. She's already online posting pics of herself flashing her bra and laying draped over some teenage boy. I'm sure she'll be cutting off her hair, wandering around gas stations barefoot and checking into hotels at all hours very soon.

Kate Evans said...

Fame is really a strange thing--for both Liebovitz and Miley, I'm sure...but especially when you're a kid, I would imagine fame really fucks with you.