Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Don't Worry About a Thing

We keep hearing this song like a message from the universe.


It pops up on the radio in our car.  One of my Pandora stations plays it often. We danced barefoot in the sand when the musicians at our reception played it.  And again we danced to it when the band played it at a Hawaiian house party.

These lyrics are central to my view toward life:

"Don't worry about a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right."

Every time I hear the song, I'm a little extra grateful for everything that has led me to know the wisdom of these words.

Hakuna Matata Beach
Another song has become part of our Hawaii repertoire.  We had such a lovely day at Hapuna Beach that we renamed it "Hakuna Matata Beach":

Hakuna Matata!  What a wonderful phrase...
It means no worries for the rest of your days
It's our problem-free philosophy
Hakuna Matata! 

Bottom line:  Worry never solved a problem.  It's taken me years to understand that when a worry pops up, I can gently direct my thoughts elsewhere:  to a possible solution, to appreciation of something else, to the gentle acknowledgement that, indeed, everything will be all right.

Of course it's easy to feel that way on my honeymoon in Hawaii after such a perfect wedding surrounded by so much love.
But now I'm being reminded that appreciation of life isn't about experiences.  It's about feeling.  When I'm worried, I'm pushing life away.  When I know that "every little thing's gonna be all right," I'm embracing life.

Thanks Bob Marley and Elton John, for the musical soundtrack to a happy life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome outlook.
Very inspiring.
YES! "Feeling" life along with the flow of every present moment.
With hopeful wish and self-reaffirmation that everything is gonna be alright.
Very comforting thought.
It reminds me of this saying:
"do not like your feeling? Change your thinking!"
Thanks Kate! Congratulation and give my best regards to Dave (the luckiest guy on earth).

Holli said...

That song never fails to put a smile on my face and shift my mood. Bob Marley is the MAN.

funnydoctormom said...

Dear Kate,
Thanks for checking out my story and blog, I am glad to know that you are enjoying the same song in a different part of the world. We went to Kauai two years ago and life has never been the same since. We saw the sunrise at Haleakala and returned home to Canada totally inspired. We moved to the waterfront where we watch the sunrise every day, and I have since quit my job so I have time to enjoy it. I like your blog and writing, I can definitely relate!
Thanks again,
Marcie www.funnydoctormom.com