Friday, February 15, 2008

First Reading, First Censorship

Dustin Brookshire writes here about doing his first public poetry reading--which was censored in the taped version.

He is now in good company. Many of the greatest writers have faced being censored or banned--including Maya Angelou, Gertrude Stein, Gore Vidal, Sylvia Plath... The list goes on and on. (Click here for more.)

Art should challenge us.
Art should question the status quo.
When you're censored or banned, you are doing something right.

6 comments:

Jo A. T.B. said...

Very interesting, I had no idea this was going on, but I'm not surprised. Like your blog!

Kate Evans said...

Thanks Jo!

Montgomery Maxton said...

well i guess all my poems would be censored from start to finish!

Collin Kelley said...

I'm going to start posting myself reading my dirty sex poems on YouTube soon.

Kate Evans said...

MM- No doubt.

Collin: You go, girl.

Dustin Brookshire said...

I missed this post!

I mean, cocksucker isn't such a horrible word!