Wednesday, April 2, 2008

How's "anachronistic has-been"?

When I wrote this, I predicted it, so it's no surprise.

Revealing himself to be an anachronistic has-been, David Letterman called Thomas Beatie "an androgynous freak."

Not funny, I say. You be the judge.




I think it's revealing that Letterman (at least in this clip) didn't use Beatie's name. To use it would have been to have to recognize him as a human being, not a "freak show."


In a few years, such "humor" will be as revealing of the bigotry of today as phrenology is in 2008.

Okay, I know "anachronistic has-been" is a bit redundant, but most name-calling attempts to achieve its power through repetition.

Which goes to show that Letterman sees androgyny as freakish. Funny, I think it's sexy.

In the meantime, Oprah has announced that Beatie will a guest on her show tomorrow.

No comments: