Saturday, April 19, 2008

Take action: Homophobia in my home town

Michael Rizzo, a student on my campus, has been writing a terrific column in our campus paper called "This Queer Life."

Not surprisingly, a handful of homophobes is writing letters of protest to almost every piece Michael writes.

If you have a moment, consider writing responses to these homophobes on the newspaper's online site. I've written several. You don't have to use your real name, unless you so desire.

Or consider writing some positive feedback to Michael's columns. Sometimes ignoring haters by blatantly loving those they hate is better than arguing with them.

Below are the links to his most recent columns; at the end of each column is a place to comment. (Even if you don't want to comment, these are articles worth reading.)




and there are a few more links to columns here.


Michael also wrote an article here about out professors (including moi). (It's a good piece but it has one mistake. It says I was married to a man for "30 years." Goddess forbid! I was married for five.)

7 comments:

Becky C. said...

He is a good writer, if a bit self absorbed--but who am I to complain about that:)

When I am in a bit more of a snarky mood I will post a few responses to the nitwits.

~Becky

Isaiah Vianese said...

I am impressed with Michael's friendly but serious voice. I am glad to see someone making unabashed statements about being gay in a world that's hesitant to embrace homosexuals.

Thank you so much for sharing!

Kate Evans said...

Becky- Rock on. I know you can snark better than most!

Isaiah- Good call, "serious but friendly." That nails it.

Collin Kelley said...

I just left a missive myself and actually had the courage to sign my real name and leave my website address...unlike some of the ignorant fucks commenting on his columns.

Justin Evans said...

I started saying the same thing as the t-shirt to all of my students. I started saying, "My dad is a homophobe. That's so gay."

It took a few minutes, but they caught on. Teaching high school is a really great opportunity because I am able to really force the students to confront their prejudices on occasion and determine which are silly, stupid, or plain ignorant.

BTW: Thank you for such a killer write up of my letters. I appreciate it and am very happy you liked them. However, I don't know if I am more flattered to have the write up or be in your 'tagged' list. Both are super cool in a far out way!

Please let me know when I can return the favor.

Kate Evans said...

Rock on, Collin!

Justin, great to hear you're doing this kind of work in the high school. So many teachers just ignore it all.

Dustin Brookshire said...

Kate.. thanks for sharing. I read "Getting Out When You Never Went In" and the latest one that is up from 4/24. I'll read more when I'm not so tired.