Sunday, March 30, 2008

JCO Quote #2

"Fiction that adds up, that suggests a 'logical consistency,' or an explanation of some kind, is surely second-rate fiction; for the truth of life is its mystery."

from this book by Joyce Carol Oates

I like that. Art embraces and creates mystery, not explanation. It reminds me that as a writer (to paraphrase Foucault), I am freer than I think.

*

Oops, we forgot to turn out the lights last night. We were watching a movie and looked up and saw it was 8:50 p.m., only ten minutes left of Earth Hour.

Bad, bad earth stewards.

We are now off to atone with a hike in the redwoods. Of course we have to drive to get there.

Um. We put spiral flourescent lightbulbs in our lamps. Does that count?

1 comment:

Collin Kelley said...

I missed Earth Hour as well. I was at the airport picking up an English poet who's featuring here in Atlanta. It was bright and busy where I was.